The prison was originally built in 1944 as a State Prison, which consisted of over 500 acres of farmland. The warden’s and deputy warden’s homes were across the street from the prison unit where the present day Parks and Recreation Building is located. The Prison was later turned over to Cobb County as a County Prison. The department operated for many years as an individual department under the Cobb County Board of Commissioners. For a brief period of time, it was placed under the umbrella of the Cobb County Department of Public Safety as the Corrections Department. In 2000, Sheriff Bill Hutson assumed responsibility of the department and changed the name to the Cobb County Sheriff’s Office Prison Unit. The facility is no longer utilized to house any inmates. In an effort to maximize the use, the facility is now a staging area for Operations and provides training areas for a variety of cirriculum.
The Prison Unit housed inmates who had been sentenced to serve their time locally. The maximum sentence allowed in this institution was 24 months, but the average time served was between 6 and 12 months. During their period of incarceration, inmates assigned to the Prison work on various supervised details within the Detention Division Facilities and throughout Cobb County. These individuals are now housed in the Work Deployment Center.
Cobb County Sheriff’s Office
1877 County Services Parkway
Marietta, Georgia 30008